On the average, what percentage of household chores do males do?
What household tasks do you consider “male” tasks? Heavy lifting, fixing appliances, mechanical tasks, electrical tasks, plumbing tasks, fixing lighting, the car, strenuous yard work.
What household tasks do you consider “female” tasks? Cooking, cleaning, raising the kids, keeping the house “homey.”
Who does which chores at your home? I do the dishwasher, trash, help with dinner, help with the kids, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, and wash floors; mom cooks, cleans whatever isn’t clean, laundry (except mine), takes care of the kids; dad does household maintenance and repairs and yard work.
1. What were the results of the 2003 survey from Le Journal des Femmes? In 2003, 80% of the women did household tasks.
2. Summarize in English the results of this survey. Which chores are done mostly by women? By men? What generalizations can you make from this survey? The women for the most part do the cleaning, the laundry, the cooking, and clean up/put things away. The men do the decorating and household maintenance/handy work. Cleaning up the table, cooking, and gardening are in the middle. You can generalize that women have the most household chores to do.
3. Who does what regarding leisure activities? What generalizations can you make from this survey? The leisure activities are pretty much split between both males and females, though women do more of the preparatory work before a vacation. This shows that a couple will make a consensus decision in deciding what to do so that they can both have an enjoyable time.
4. Who does what regarding paperwork at home? What generalizations can you make from this survey? Women do a lot of the personal finances, taxes, and sort out the mail, while the men handle the automobile paperwork. The women get most of the financial/paper tasks.
5. Who does what in the area of taking care of the children? What generalizations can you make from this survey? Women do the large majority of all the tasks pertaining to children like taking them to school and doctor’s appointments and going to meetings with the teachers. Obviously men do nothing. Women pretty much have all the childbearing responsibilities.
What do you think of the results of this survey? Do you think the same situation exists in the US US
List at least 5 new words and definitions:
Plutôt: rather, instead
Rangement: tidy, organize, pick up
Loisirs: spare/leasure time
La déclaration d'impôt: tax statements/financial statements
The name of the article is “Attention à l’environnement!” found at < http://www.lesclesjunior.com/rubriques/france/environnement/Attention__lenvironnement_/?searchterm=environnement>.
It is spring for the environment! The article links spring cleaning to efforts to clean up the environment and get rid of the trash left over the winter on the beach and in the forests.
I learned…that women have pretty much the same roles in the US France
I liked….that at least men participated in vacation tasks.
I disliked…how women have the most chores and work to do.
What was easy…it was all pretty simple.
What was difficult…nothing. I had to look up just a few words though.
Next time I would…try to probably do less elaboration since it cost me some time.